The devotion of goddess mari was commenced in Tulunadu during 17th century. Basappa Nayaka, one of the prominant rulers of Keladi royal family built a fort “Manoharagadha” on Kapu seashore in 1743. He also constructed a fort in Mallar to Shelter his military (Dandu). The goddess “Dandinamari” came along the military and settled in Kapu.
Kapu Beach Rd, Kopalangadi, Kaup, Karnataka 574106.
Kapu Maripooja is one of the seven rituals of the unilateral Dakshina Kannada district. The other six are – Udupi Paryaya, Bappanadu Dolu, Arasara Kambala, Kavatha Ayana, Dharmastala Deepotsava and Padubidri Dhakkebali.
A small idol inside the main shrine of the marigudi is said to be left behind by a witchcraft, who made an unsuccessful attempt to steal the powers of goddess.
The temple is open on every Tuesdays. It will also be kept open on all days of Navarathri and during Mari Pooja
“Pilikola” is also a special ritual at Marigudi, held for five days
Ucchangi is the younger sister of godess Mari. The Shrine also has no idol. The godess is worshiped through the symbol of feet’s
Kapu Konkani Mutt
Kapu also has a temple of Lord Sri Venkataraman, Which is also called as Kapu Sri Konkani Mutt Sri Venkataramana Temple, The 300 year old temple has a unique idol of Lord Hayagreeva, belonging to the 15th century.
The devotion of goddess mari was commenced in Tulunadu during 17th century. Basappa Nayaka, one of the prominant rulers of Keladi royal family built a fort “Mahoragadha” on Kapu seashore in 1743. He also constructed a fort in Mallar to Shelter his military (Dandu). The goddess “Dandinamari” came along the military and settled in Kapu
British rulers occupied the port after the demise of Tipu Sultan. People started to devote the goddess at a new temple in Pallapadpu.
Goddess marai is regarded as ” Kapuda Appe”. Kapu houses three mari temples. The temple at pallipadpu is recocognised as old Marigudi. Earlieer, people, irrespective of thier caste and religion, were worshipping the goddess. But a dispute came between the gowda Saraswath Brahmin families and other devotes regarding the managment of the Temple.Finally, the judgment came in favour of the GSBS. So the devote constructed separate temple in 1830. Chief of the Kapu Beedu generously donated land for constructing new marigudei